Weekly Newsletter for Ms. Hahn’s Class –
Week of October 10 - 14
About report cards: This is just a reminder that Dublin City Schools is changing to an electronic report card. You will need to log-in OR set up your students' progress book account to view your students' grade card, starting this trimester. On September 16th, we sent home almost 600 log-ins to families that have never set up their ProgressBook accounts. Please make sure you are able to log-in using the paper that was sent home with your student. If you forgot your log-in information, we can also support you with that. If you have any questions, please contact the school.
Science Grades: 6 students are coming home with a letter about a project to raise their science grade from a D or F. Please sign and return that letter on Tuesday. I will send it back with your child so you have the information about the project.
Guidance Homework due 10/27: Students have a worksheet for a “Perseverance Walk” assignment for guidance. You will also find a rubric for this assignment – it will be for a Communications grade in Language Arts. They will present their project in guidance on 10/27.
Writing Homework over the long weekend: Choose a topic for the information writing unit we will begin next week. Our class’ continent is Oceania (pronounced oh-she-AN-ee-uh), which includes Australia and the nearby island nations. We brainstormed today the wide range of possibilities for topics. Once a topic is chosen, students should “fill their brains up” with background knowledge about that topic. No notes need to be taken, just browse websites, watch videos, look at pictures and captions in books.
Hahn Math Quiz on Tuesday: Your child has a study guide in their red take home folder.
Just You Wait: My friends and Poetry Friday Anthology editors Sylvia Vardell and Janet Wong gave every student in my class their newest book, Just You Wait. I am hoping that in the next couple of weeks, your children will read this book and complete some of the “power pack” poetry writing prompts. I’d love to send copies of their wonderful poems to Sylvia and Janet as a thank you for these books.
Two sign-ups in the red take home folders:
1. Please send back the conference sign-up form with your two requests (if you don’t already have a conference scheduled). Please send it back on Tuesday if possible.
2. If you’d like to help with the Harvest party, send back the form with your offerings. Don’t buy anything until Mrs. Matter confirms with you.
The Week at a Glance:
OUR TOP 10
10. Giving each other feedback on our fiction stories
9. Michael Hall books for #classroombookaday
8. Working on basketball skills in PE – dribbling, and jumping rope to work on foot work
7. Ms. Hahn’s math met their goal of staying on task in class. They’ll try to meet this goal one more time.
6. We finished one read aloud (The Last Fifth Grade..) and started a new read aloud: A Whole New Ballgame by Phil Bildner
5. Doug Worthington talked to 5th grade about perseverance and grit for the Perseverance Walk assignment for Guidance
4. Getting a book from Sylvia Vardell and Janet Wong, Ms. Hahn’s friends and editors for the Poetry Friday Anthology books she’s published in
3. Laura Shovan, author of The Last Fifth Grade of Emerson Elementary, visited our classroom
2. Leah’s Birthday -- while Ms. Hahn is gone
1. Isaac’s Birthday is Sunday
Monday, October 17 – no school
Wednesday, October 19 – PTO Family Night Out at Chick-Fil-A
Wedneday, October 19-Friday, October 28 – Miss Momsen will be our guest teacher
Friday, October 28, 2:45-3:30 – Harvest Party (costumes allowed, but no makeup or hair coloring…save that for Monday)
Friday, October 28 – PTO Movie Night
Monday, October 31 – Halloween and Trick-or-Treat night
Tuesday, November 1 and Thursday, November 3 – Parent Teacher Conferences
Friday, November 4 – End of the first trimester