Weekly Newsletter for Ms. Hahn’s Class –
Week Eight, Oct. 6-10
The Week at a Glance:
OUR TOP 10
10. Taking a walk in the land lab for focused five.
9. Book order project in math.
8. New art project --- prototype for a toy.
7. Top ten facts in science (and justify choice for #1)
6. New chrysalis starting from a black swallowtail caterpillar.
5. 3 Pig variant stories in writing workshop.
4. New books – review copies from Scholastic
3. Starting a new read aloud – The Fourteenth Goldfish for Global Read Aloud
2. Learning about space in science.
1. Welcome to our new student, Noor!
Reading: Focusing on evens now, and really excited about our new read aloud.
Writing: Students are writing variations of the 3 Little Pigs. We read several versions while studying setting. Each student has chosen a setting and/or characters that take some research. We will be focusing on adding details to our writing that describe the characters and the setting. Ask you child about the character/setting they have chosen!
Word Study: We did some work on our DSI lists with prefixes and suffixes, synonyms and antonyms.
Hahn Math: Math test (5th grade) on Monday. Practice your multiplication! Up next – measurement.
Sixth Grade Math: Test today, new unit next week.
Science: We have been studying the sun and the solar system. Today the students listed 10 facts, put them in order of importance, and justified their choice of their number one fact.
Upcoming Events: Parent conferences are mostly on Wednesday, October, 15, but I will be busy after school and during planning period for the next two weeks. I will be asking for help with the food, games and craft for the Harvest Party at each conference. Be thinking about how you can help for this party or for one of the ones later in the year.
This-n-That: Wouldn’t you know it. I’m all caught up on grading…and I forgot to send the Friday Folders home. Watch for a MONDAY folder. About half the class hasn’t returned their Friday Folder to the box, so if you could check your child’s backpack and make sure you’ve seen the fliers and papers from last week, I’d appreciate that.