Weekly Newsletter for Ms. Hahn’s Class – Week of May 13
The Week at a Glance:
OUR TOP 10
10. Started softball in gym.
9. Part 4 of the sword dance in music, and earned free time with good behavior.
8. New project in art – comics.
7. Hahn math – division algorithm (a sixth grade standard!!)
6. 7 out on Monday – all the sickies are back! Here's to health!!
5. Dima got her braces off!
4. In library we did a cardboard challenge.
3. We finished up with Economics and Government.
2. Watch your Homeroom app for pictures and videos of our Genius Hour egg drop challenge today!
1. Our class won the pizza party for Pennies for Patients – our class raised over $300 of the $2600 total that was raised for this worthy cause. Thank you, all, for your generosity.
Reading: Check out your child’s awesome work in red folders/backpacks. One compare/contrast essay was practice with the class, but the one with the two articles, notes, and essay was done INDEPENDENTLY. Fabulous work!
Writing: We are working on opinion writing. This week we tried out 5 different ways to write a hook to grab our reader before we state our opinion.
Hahn Math: Review and challenge – long division algorithm, multiplying and dividing with decimals.
Sixth Grade Math: Statistics is finished!
Social Studies: We are combining our work with explorers and opinion writing. We practiced together with Christopher Columbus – did he positively or negatively influence the people and places where he explored? We’ll learn about other European explorers in the weeks to come, and develop essays about their influence.
Tuesday, May 18 – Language Arts MAP testing
Wednesday May 19 – Math MAP testing
Friday, May 20 – book orders are due
Tuesday, May 24 – Pennies for Patients pizza party
Thursday, May 26 – COSI trip
Friday, May 27 – Field Day
Monday, May 30 – No School – Memorial Day
Tuesday, May 31- Friday, June 4 and Monday, June 6 – SCHOOL IS STILL IN SESSION!!