Weekly Newsletter for Ms. Hahn’s Class – Week of 11/27-12/1
The Week at a Glance:
OUR TOP 10
10. Environmental Club worked with third grade to pick up trash on the playground.
9. We completed our nonfiction goals in reading.
8. Nonfiction writing is going well.
7. We started a new read aloud, Refugee by Alan Gratz.
6. Dress rehearsals this week Th/F and next week M/T for our 12/5 concert.
5. Pacer test in Gym.
4. Today was the best Genius Hour ever. We cooperated, were kind to each other, thought flexibly, were creative, and HAD FUN!! When it was all over, we pitched in to help clean up.
3. Eli is our student of the month for November/December.
2. Miranda’s birthday was 11/28.
1. Dominic’s birthday was 11/21.
Reading: We have begun work on the standard that asks students to “Explain the relationships or interactions between two or more individuals, events, ideas, or concepts in a historical, scientific, or technical text based on specific information in the text."
Writing: Students chose a pair of texts -- an informational video and a related article. They have determined the main ideas and details in the video and article, and many of them have begun writing their first NF article synthesizing the information from the two sources.
Word Study: We finally completed work on the roots bi, di, du (since they mean two, we added uni, tri, quad, pent/quint, etc. for good measure). While others were doing Word Game Wednesday, my small group worked on long o vowel patterns, and then stretched themselves to create a set of words that demonstrates “shades of meaning.”
Math: We have begun work on fractions. The goal in the next few weeks will be to add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators by making common denominators.
Social Studies: We are nearly finished studying the geography of Latin America.